Lots to organise and lots to think about. Here is a range of information you may need to help plan your trip.
This all depends a little on which trip you are doing!
The list below is a general guide for what you’d need to bring for one of our guided walks. If you are doing a Freedom Walk or Freedom Plus Package you will need to add a few more things to the list depending on the track. See the notes below the list.
- Tramping boots or sturdy walking shoes.
- Pair of shorts, trousers.
- Thick woolen or fleece top.
- Thermal long johns and shirt.
- Socks, underwear and handkerchief.
- Small towel or flannel.
- Warm hat and light gloves.
- Waterproof coat with hood.
- Pair of light shoes or sandals (useful as hut shoes).
- Pack with waterproof liner.
- Small personal torch, water bottle.
- Personal medicine, toilet bag
- Insect repellent, sunblock.
- Camera and film.
Some people like gaiters and others use walking sticks.
Freedom Walk customers need to add a sleeping bag and kitchen equipment to the list, however do note that gas cookers are provided on the Milford, Routeburn and Kepler tracks.
New Zealand’s back country weather is unpredictable. That’s the beauty of it. Extreme conditions can develop at any time. Be prepared and have warm, waterproof equipment. In winter months there can be some snow on the tops of the alpine tracks.
Each track is rated for the level of fitness required. Typically you will need to walk anywhere from 4 to 8 hours a day depending on the track, the options you chose and the weather.
Don’t expect to bound out of your office desk after years of outdoor inactivity and triumph over the hills! Some pre walk training will go a long way in improving your enjoyment.
Bookings are essential and cancellation fees may apply. Packages and prices are subject to variation.
- Full payment is required to confirm a Freedom Plus and Freedom Walk booking. For a Guided Walk a 25% deposit is required to confirm a booking with the balance due 60 days before departure.
- Vouchers and accommodation passes must be collected prior to departure from the track office in Tuatapere or one of our agents. Otherwise please contact us to make alternate arrangements.
- Children aged 10 – 15 must be accompanied by an adult. The tracks are not recommended for children younger than 10.
- Bookings can be transferred to a future date but not between people.
- The operators reserve the right to alter, amend or cancel any tour, should weather or any other situation demand subject to any rights and remedies you may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
- These are wilderness trips with an element of danger attached. Hike South, Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track, Tuatapere Hump Track Trust, Kiwi Wilderness Walks, Tuatara Investments Ltd, its agents or operators will not be liable for any injury, damage, loss or delay by reason of weather or defect.
- We recommend customers arrange their own travel insurance.
If the track is closed due to bad weather or track conditions, in most cases a full refund will be given. Cancelled groups will be able to depart on the track only if there are vacancies available once the track reopens.
If walkers cancel their bookings, the following cancellation fees apply:
- 14 days or more notice – 25% cancellation fee applies.
- Less then 14 days – No refund can be made except with a medical certificate.
Please note some tracks are operated by third parties and their cancellation policies may differ.